Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Hello fall!

The summer has come and gone here on the south coast, and with it has taken away flip flops and short shorts. Those were my wardrobe staples this summer. And no, not the skanky short shorts, the cute denim ones.. there is such a thing. So with this new weather, comes boots and sweaters, and I am reminded that I need to go shopping. There is nothing better than a warm, cozy, soft hoodie. And then I am reminded of another realization that there is no money to go shopping with. Such a sad, sad realization.

But now that the fall is (unofficially) here, I am pleased to announce that I have already baked my first pie of the season.. and you guessed it, it was blackberry. And might I add that it was devine! I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but it was mighty fine. We are planning on going blackberry picking again this Sunday. My fingers are already cringing at this thought. But the hubby wants to get a few more gallons so we can bring a couple of pies to Alberta when we go for Thanksgiving at his parents house this year. And this idea has me grinning from ear to ear. You know that you have done well when a man wants to share his woman's baking with his mama!
I am looking forward to baking many more pies, and of different varieties. I would also love to get into canning. Something about being able to do these things is empowering. It's weird how "back in the day" every woman knew how to bake, cook and preserve. And nowadays it's the complete opposite. I had a girl at work the other day so shocked that I knew how to bake. That was so weird to me. My mama must have taught me well.

Fall also means that we are all back in school. It has been especially hard for me to go back because I never really got a break. I had a whole six days. But don't get me wrong, those six days were heaven! So now we are all back and the visa card has to get wracked back up again with the costs of textbooks and supplies. My chem book for this term cost me $225. I couldn't believe it. This has been the most expensive book I have had to purchase. So it better be worth it. Lets hope that this school year brings lots of knowledge and good grades!

All this talk about fall has also got me looking forward to big wool socks. I am telling you, fall fashion for me involves sweats with huge wool socks pulled up over top of them. Such a fashionista I am! And nothing goes better with those socks than a huge mug of earl grey tea. Aah, pure relaxation. I have a feeling that this approaching season is going to be a good one. I am looking forward to every aspect of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment